How to install Lync Server on Microsoft Virtual Servers
To install Lync Server on Mirosoft virtual Servers, there are lots of steps to follow. Lync server is primarily a real-time communications server. It is used for services such as instant messaging, file transfer, Enterprise Voice, Monitoring, with the help of a third-party gateway or SIP trunk, PSTN connectivity.
Pre-requisites of running Host Server
- Server – A minimum of two CPU socketed an Enterprise-grade server.
- CPU – at least 24 virtual cores supported Enterprise-class CPU.
- Memory – At least 32 GB.
- Network adapter – Two or more 1GbE or 10 GbE adapters.
- Storage – Two or more SATA or serial attached SCSI (SAS) hard disk drive, of at least 10k rpm.
- Operating systems – Both the physical host servers and all virtual servers must run one of the following :
Windows Server 2012.
Windows Server 2008 R2 with the software update as suggested by Microsoft.
Supported Topologies: It is also required that all servers within same pool must be either physical or virtual. They can't be mixed. However for this purpose Front End Servers and Back-end database SQL Servers are considered to be separate.
For example: You can run virtual Front End Servers using a physical back-end database, or physical Front End Servers and a virtual back-end database.
But the back-end database requires real-time process. So, it's better to have Back-end Database on physical server otherwise you will have performance issue.
All servers within one pool should provide about the same performance. For example, if you have virtual Front End Servers in one pool being hosted on different host servers, you should make sure each virtual Front End Server is capable of a similar level of performance.
If you want a large amount of virtualized servers across different host servers, you should spread the members of one pool across different host servers.
Netwotking Capabilities: Among other things, necessary to run Lync server on Microsoft Virtual Servers you should be very careful about is networking. Being a real-time communications process it is dependent on very fast and efficient networking. As a slight delay in packet can deteriorate audio signal
Requirement for improved networking performance:
- At least one network adapter on host dedicated to the virtual machines running Lync Server roles.
- Have a higher speed network adapter (such as 10 GbE) or multiple network adapters using link aggregation.
- Use the Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) capabilities of Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
- Implement multi-path I/O (MPIO) to your back-end database.
- Enable virtual LAN (VLAN) on the network adapter, and to optimize traffic implement multiple VLANs on the virtual servers.
Manage Your Virtual Environment
Use Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) to manage your virtualized Lync Server topology. VMM substitute Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services for the virtual machine management and you can monitor performance, disk space and other parameters
Steps to use VMM:
- Create a new host group named LS 2013 in
- Click Add Host in the Actions pane,.
- Select the Windows Server-based host on a perimeter network or If your virtual environment is in your Active Directory domain, select that option and click Next.
- Install a VMM Agent on the host server and also create a security key if the host server is on a perimeter network.
- Now move to VMM Administrative Console and click Add Host.
- Enter machine name and the domain/machine name and security key and then click next.
- Four virtual machines should be available now.
- Now back to VMM Administrative Console, click the Virtual Machines button.
- You will now see the Virtual Machines view, with the four virtual machines running Lync Server listed.
This way you can run on Microsoft Virtual Servers.
Category: Web Programming